Don’t let your student’s brain get dusty over the summer! Summer Writing Camp gives students a chance to develop their writing skills long after the bell rings!
During Young Writers Camp students will:
- Write a complete and well-conceived original story
- Practice fiction, nonfiction, journaling, dialogue, plot, and character development
- Participate in creative brainstorming sessions and investigate the legacy and style of writers like John Steinbeck
- Engage in exploratory activities with guest speakers on the art of storytelling, observation and hands-on experiments, and inspirational field trips to local sites
- Have fun with other campers and be proud to call themselves authors!
On the final day of Writing Camp, campers will present their work to friends and family. Their work will be collected in a printed anthology, of which each camper receives a copy to memorialize their writing camp session.
Have a young writer in your household?
Camp registration will open March 1st, 2019.
This year, we aim to host 4 weeks of camps. Each week builds on the other, but campers need not attend all weeks to benefit.
Registration is $175 for one week and $325 for both.
Camp themes are subject to change.
At the end of each week, campers will present and share an excerpt of their story to their families.
Registration for Summer 2019 will open on March 1, 2019.
How to register:
- Online registration, Click Here
- Fill, sign, and return the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Registration Forms:
How to pay:
- Pay with cash, check, or credit card in our Museum Store
- Pay with credit card over the phone: 831.775.4721
- Mail checks to:
- NSC Summer Writing Camp
The National Steinbeck Center
1 Main Street
Salinas, CA 93901
- NSC Summer Writing Camp
Need a little help getting your student to summer camp?
Scholarships are currently available for students with financial barriers.
If you are the parent or teacher of a promising student who wants to attend summer camp but may struggle with camp tuition, submit us a brief statement of need before May 31st, 2019. Statements should:
- Be 1 page in length, double or single spaced typed.
- Provide details about the student including their age, grade, school, their writing level, and their interests, especially in this writing camp.
- Demonstrate how the student’s financial position impedes them from registering for summer camp.
- Include any other information that parents or teachers deem pertinent to the student and funding.
- Provide a writing sample from the student.
Submit typed documents to Tara Spada by email: email@example.com no later than May 31st. Submitted documents will be reviewed and applicants will be contacted shortly after. Please note: registration in camp with not be accepted or completed if you submit a Request for Need concurrently with registering. Your camper is only registered and may only attend camp once your Request has been approved and payment has been received. Thank you!
Help keep students’ skills sharp during summer
Summer writing camps provide additional instruction and practice for students and budding writers who want an extra boost before school starts in the fall. Attending a camp outside of the classroom setting can allow students to expand their ideas and creativity without the constraints of grades or pressure.
With your generosity, students who need financial aid will have the opportunity to enhance their writing while having a great time.
Once you have donated, please email our Director of Finance & Administration, David Butler firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line: Summer Writing Camp Donation
In the email, please indicate that you would like your donation to sponsor a student’s camp tuition! Thank you!