This summer camp division of the Steinbeck Young Authors program provides middle school students a chance to develop their writing skills long after the bell rings!
During Young Writers Camp students will:
- Practice fiction, nonfiction, journaling, dialogue, plot and character development
- Participate in creative brainstorming sessions and investigate the legacy and style of writers like John Steinbeck
- Engage in exploratory activities with guest speakers on the art of storytelling, observation and hands-on experiments, and inspirational field trips to local sites
On the final day of the two-week Young Writers Camp, campers will present their work to friends and family. Their work will be collected in a printed anthology, of which each camper receives a copy to memorialize their writing camp session.
Have a young writer in your household?
Camps run Monday to Friday 8:30 am – 12:30 pm for two weeks each summer.
Registration is $175 for one week and $325 for both.
Camp themes are subject to change.
At the end of each week, campers will present and share an excerpt of their story to their families.
Registration will open in May.
Need a little help getting your student to summer camp?
Scholarships are currently available for students with financial barriers.
If you are the parent or teacher of a promising student who wants to attend summer camp but may struggle with camp tuition, submit us a brief statement of need. Statements should:
- Be 1 page in length, double or single spaced.
- Provide details about the student including their age, grade, school, their writing level, and their interests, especially in this writing camp.
- Demonstrate how the student’s financial position impedes them from registering for summer camp.
- Include any other information that parents or teachers deem pertinent to the student and funding.
Submit typed documents to Tara Spada by email: email@example.com no later than May 31st. Submitted documents will be reviewed and applicants will be contacted shortly after.
Want to help make a student’s summer special?
Summer writing camps provide additional instruction and practice for students and budding writers who want an extra boost before school starts in the fall. Attending a camp outside of the classroom setting can allow students to expand their ideas and creativity without the constraints of grades or pressure.
With your generosity, students who need financial aid will have the opportunity to enhance their writing while having a great time.
Click here to sponsor a Young Writer summer camp student!
Once you have donated, please email our Director of Finance & Administration David Butler firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line: Summer Writing Camp Donation
In the email, please indicate that you would like your donation to sponsor a student’s camp tuition! Thank you!