“Muscles aching to work, minds aching to create – this is man.”
The National Steinbeck Center is a museum and non-profit dedicated to the legacy of Salinas-born, Nobel-Prize winning author John Steinbeck. The NSC museum runs cultural and literary programming year-round and welcomes thousands of visitors both locally and internationally to its museum. We are a close-knit, inclusive team that works hard to fulfill out mission and make every visitor’s experience memorable.
Guest Services Manager (Part-time)
Description of Organization:
The National Steinbeck Center (NSC) is a non-profit (501c3) organization inspired by the legacy of Salinas-born, Nobel-Prize winning author John Steinbeck. The NSC operates an internationally recognized small museum exhibition hall and regional bookstore and gift shop. It is located in its original landmark facility now owned and operated by California State University Monterey Bay in Salinas’s downtown City Center. The NSC regularly presents cultural and literary programming year-round and annually welcomes thousands of visitors to the heart of Salinas. We are a close-knit, hard-working and inclusive organization dedicated to the NSC’s mission and committed to making every guest’s experience a memorable one.
Description of Role:
This position will manage the staff and operations related to all Guest Services at the NSC. The team of 2-3 other Guest Services Representatives includes an Assistant Manager primarily assigned to weekends. The Guest Services Manager reports to the NSC’s Director of Finance and Operations regarding financial and personnel matters and coordinates with the NSC’s Exhibits and Events Coordinator on issues related to programming and the overall guest experience. All Guest Services staff serve as the public face of the NSC and the first point of contact for visitors to this treasured cultural destination. All staff are responsible for greeting and processing visitors, many from all over the world, to the John Steinbeck Exhibit Hall as well as servicing customers at the NSC’s Store, including those visiting from Salinas and other Monterey County communities. Other front-of-house staff responsibilities include maintaining all operations directly related to the Exhibit Hall and Store. The Guest Services Manager as well as all Guest Services Representatives need to be flexible self-starters who take initiative and enjoy a team effort in a busy atmosphere and genuinely like working directly with the public on a daily basis.
- Scheduling and supervising all Guest Services Staff
- Handling cash and credit transactions for Exhibit admissions and Store merchandise sales
- Responding to visitors’ questions regarding: city and county information, directions or local history; information and referrals about Steinbeck and his works (resources are provided to assist staff)
- Answering phones and redirecting certain inquiries to appropriate NSC Staff departments
- Monitoring and responding to email communications
- Managing online promotions and social media engagement in collaboration with the NSC’s Marketing and Community Engagement Coordinator
- In cooperation with the CSUMB facilities staff, insuring that all public areas of the NSC are clean, neat, and ready for visitors (i.e. Front Desk, Film Theater, Steinbeck Exhibit and Store)
- Assisting in physical set-up and break-down of occasional NSC events
Other Store Duties:
- Reordering and restocking the Store inventory as needed
- Maintaining retail displays
- Fulfilling online NSC web site Store orders via email
Other Exhibit Duties:
- Daily booting up and shutting down of the audio-visual components of the Steinbeck Exhibit
- Overseeing the bookings of group tours of the Exhibit
- Assisting Steinbeck Exhibit Hall docents with scheduling and information as needed
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Supervisory experience in a similar retail and/or customer service business environment
- Outgoing and friendly disposition to directly supervise some NSC staff, collaborate with others and communicate effectively to groups as well as with individuals one-on-one
- Effective English verbal and written communication skills including good phone etiquette
- Computer proficiency in a retail setting
- Strong organizational skills: Attention to detail and ability to multi-task
- Handling cash and credit transactions for the Exhibit and Store
- A high school diploma is required
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds and stock higher shelves with use of a small step ladder
- Ability to sit or stand for long periods of time
- Will have some knowledge of Salinas and Monterey County history, John Steinbeck and some of his major works (not required to start, but a capability and willingness to learn is highly recommended)
- Will be bilingual or have some conversational proficiency in Spanish
We anticipate some flexibility in hours, however, primarily a part-time Monday through Friday schedule will be maintained:
- Monday through Friday in the 9:30am to 5:30pm (TBD)
- Occasional weekends only as needed in the 9:30am to 5:00pm (TBD)
NOTE: Work schedules are assigned based on the NSC’s needs and the staff’s availability. The NSC’s operating hours are currently under review. Potential changes would most likely take place starting January, 2019.
$13.00/ minimum, depending on experience
How to Apply:
Please submit a current resume specific to this position including (3) professional references. Also provide a brief cover letter stating your interest in this position at the National Steinbeck Center.
Submit via email to David Butler, Director of Finance and Administration at: email@example.com using the message title: Guest Services Manager Application
OR: Submit by mail or drop off in person to:
ATTN: Guest Services Manager Application
National Steinbeck Center
1 Main St.
Salinas CA, 93901
Application Deadline and Starting Date:
All applications will be reviewed immediately upon receipt. For timely consideration, all applications must be received by no later than Tuesday, September 25, 2018.
Position to start training work by no later than Friday, September 28, 2018.
The National Steinbeck center is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to fostering an environment free from any form of unlawful discrimination. It is the policy of the National Steinbeck Center to create a culture of practices designed to ensure equal opportunity without regard to race, sex (including breastfeeding), color, gender, religion, marital status, registered domestic partnership status, age, ethnicity, physical or mental abilities, veteran status, medical condition, sexual orientation, gender (including gender identity and gender expression), parental status, political affiliations, military service, family care leave status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws. All such discrimination is unlawful. This policy governs all aspects of employment at the NSC, including hiring, benefits, discipline and discharge, assignments, training, promotions, compensation, and all other terms and conditions of employment.